Friday, May 27, 2011

Thankfulness

NKJV Psalm 100:4
Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, And into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.

NKJV Romans 1:21
Because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

NKJV Colossians 3:15
And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.

I just returned from Nicaragua and I saw something that was very convicting. It has stayed with me all week. We were closing out the project on Thursday when the church in Nicaragua wanted to thank us for our part in what God had blessed them with. They made their presentation to us and the pastor of that church was fighting back the tears. These people live usually in a one room house with sheets up to separate the bedroom. They have dirt floors and very few of what we call necessities. When I presented the pastor with the keys to the new church building, neither the pastor nor could the church hold it any longer. The tears flowed for their gratefulness to God for all He had done for them. They had planned to have a church building within the next 10 to 15 years and God moved that time table up. I have been doing this over 20 years and these were the most thankful people I have ever met – so thankful that I was convicted.  

I was convicted because I do not thank God enough for all that He does in my life. Thankful for: 1) my wife who has supported me and loved me when I did not deserve it, 2) my home that He provided, 3) my children and friends that He uses to teach me, 4) my needs and wants supplied (I am abundantly blessed when you look at the world), 5) running water (it went off there by 2pm each day), 6) electricity (it went off there and you never knew when it would happen), 7) God's love (not measured by what I do or don't do).  The list can go on and on.

I read Romans 1:21 and began to realize that not thanking God would cause my "foolish heart" to be darkened. I have already become calloused toward all my blessings and what God has allowed me to experience. This trip has made me want to stop and thank those around me for love and patience and thank God more. Paul tells us in Phil. 4:11 to be thankful or content wherever we find ourselves. I normally want more, want to be loved and waited on by my wife more or do not see all the things around me that God has blessed me with. I am selfish and self-centered when I do not verbally state my thankfulness to others or God. 

Maybe we are not pulling others into the game because they do not see the change that God would want to see us make in our life. Are you really thankful? Tell God and others. Make it a lifestyle.  What is different in your life because of what God has allowed you to experience? 

Thank you, Lord, for your goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment